Classic, casual and oh-so comfortable. For me, denim skirts are a wardrobe staple. Not only do they get me out of the house in the morning – looking good – denim skirts get me through the day with style that can be dialed up or down, depending on the occasion.
Notice that I said denim “skirts”, meaning more than one. While some people might dismiss denim skirts as just Levis without the legs, there’s actually a wide range of denim skirt styles out there.
So don’t settle. Instead of choosing just a “generic” denim skirt, make the most of this fashion essential by shopping for designs that look best on your body, and fit your individual fashion style.
Classic Details – Or Not
The classic blue denim work pants created by Levi Strauss have become a symbol of America, and also create a classic template from which to launch your own fashion statement. Pair it with anything from a t-shirt to a cashmere turtleneck, choose an eye-catching belt or let your top skim over the waistband, and you’re in business.
Some women prefer a smooth, pocket-free look, and in this department, denim skirts can also fit the bill. A hidden zipper on the side or in the center of the back make this type of denim skirt the basis of a casual, yet elegant silhouette.
Beyond Blue, Beyond Denim
Denim skirt materials vary, and you can make the most of your outfit by choosing the one that works for you. Heavy denim can be “doctored” with a touch of spandex, or replaced altogether with a stretch twill that provides the denim skirt look, without the bulk. You can also find denim skirts with full spandex waistbands, designed to be hidden under an un-tucked top.
From light to dark blue, to black, to every color of the rainbow – you can find denim skirt styles that “push the fashion envelope” while still giving you the classic, casual look you adore.
Special Style Options
If you – or your daughter – want a kicky alternative to classic, try a ruffle denim skirt, or a tiered cut that takes denim to a new and interesting level.
Denim skirts can also be distinctive on the long and short ends of the scale. Some floor-length denim skirts are built from vertical panels that add style, while flattering fuller figures. If you feel comfortable with a higher hemline, a denim skirt’s everyday appeal allows you the option of pairing it with leggings, colorful tights or – especially in winter – a fabulous pair of boots.
In short (or in long) – denim skirts help you make the most out of what’s already in your closet, by giving you a flexible jumping-off point for fashion, creativity and fun. Enjoy!
As a modest dresser, I insist on sensible coverage. But I also insist on a look that is feminine, not frumpy. My favorite way to approach this challenge is to accentuate the positive – that is, the naturally attractive curve of the female waist.
Let’s be clear here: I’m not talking about waist-whittling undergarments, or fabrics that cling so tight that they leave nothing to the imagination. Whether you’re choosing a skirt, dress or top, a tailored, waist-skimming treatment of your midriff can add dignity, and even a touch of glamour.
Let’s look at some of the options.
Ruched Waistbands: The Vintage Advantage
Remember those glamorous gals in the Hollywood movies of the 40s and 50s? You don’t have to look like Rita Hayworth to benefit from the way that gently gathered material at the waist creates an instant hourglass shape, while drawing attention away from both the bosom and the hips.
This type of waistband adds a touch of elegance and interest in everything from a full-length dress to a casual skirt or top.
Spandex is a Girl’s Best Friend
Forget full-body spandex – skin-tight leotards and tights are just not my style. But a little spandex goes a long way, especially when it’s hidden at the waistline.
I love the comfort that comes from a spandex waistband. Not only does it allow me to adjust the length of a skirt with just a little tug, it’s designed to be tucked away under a hip-skimming or tailored top. This gives me a look that’s curvaceous… not flirtatious!
High Waisted Comfort
They say that a waist is a terrible thing to mind. Still, I admit: some days, I’d rather dress in a way that leaves my curves to the imagination. For an easy, flowing feeling, try a high-waisted skirt that adds a little swing to your step. This high waisted, mid-calf pencil skirt is ultra-feminine and helps me step out in confidence.
The holiday season is a bonanza for business, with the media making darned sure that everyone feels a guilty responsibility: To buy gifts and to make ‘em good.
Face it: gift buying success is not an exact science. What’s more, when the female target of your gift purchases – whether it’s a family member, a friend, or a colleague from work – is a difficult “fit”, we can find ourselves roaming the aisles, either empty handed, or worse, with our hands full of gifts that are sure to go right to the back of the closet. Or back to the store.
Here are some thoughts to guide you on your girl-oriented gift-giving adventures.
(1) It’s winter. Think cozy.
You don’t have to be headed for a ski resort to appreciate the warmth that’s expressed by seasonal dressing. In the winter months, everybody loves an extra layer, and outerwear is a risk-free choice; whether it’s a casual sweatshirt or a camel’s wool coat, it doesn’t have to match any particular outfit. For a low-budget option, remember: winter scarves, hats and gloves are a colorful, girl-friendly gift, and a classic expression of seasonal affection.
Women’s Loose Fitting, Raglan Style Shirt – Perfect ‘Basic’ for your Wardrobe
(2) Basics rock!
Did you know that the girl who has everything has something in common with the fussiest recipient on your list? It’s true: both have limited bandwidth for appreciating your creative shopping efforts. So why fight it? A sure-fire way to please both these categories is to concentrate on blue-chip, tried-and-true basics. Complement the wardrobe these women already have by choosing high-quality tops, bottoms and layering pieces in easy-to-match colors.
(3) You can never own too much…
…jewelry. Diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, but if the real stuff is out of your price range, try browsing your local department store racks for fun – and fake – pieces that can liven up any look.
Kosher Casual’s Little Black Dress
(4) Dare to buy a dress
Yes, it can be done. Keep your eyes out for classic styles that are not too fussy in the details, yet say “holiday” all the way to the hem. For example, imagine an unstructured dress in a solid-color… that’s the kind of foolproof, one-size-fits-all gift dress that is sure to be appreciated, because it can be dressed up and accessorized, creating a starting point for a personal fashion statement.
(5) And if you despair…
Don’t. Gift certificates may sound like a cop-out, but allowing the girl on your gift list to do her own shopping might be the greatest gift of all!
If you dress modestly, you know that modest skirts are the workhorses of your everyday wardrobe. But do you really know how to shop for skirts? By paying attention to just a few basic principles, you’ll have an easier time when you next go skirt shopping at the mall. You’ll also have an easier time finding the look that matches your body – and your lifestyle.
The Hips Have It
The drape of a skirt begins at your hips. That’s why – when it comes to skirts – your particular hip-shape is crucial to making the right fashion choice.
Fuller-hipped, curvy women should look for A-line skirts that flare out toward the hemline. This de-emphasizes the mid-section, and creates a more streamlined, elegant line.
Straight-hipped women who wish to emphasize their curves are better served by pencil skirts. Gently hugging the hips and becoming narrower toward the hemline, pencil skirts define an hourglass silhouette that – if it’s not taken to an extreme – can be elegant, tasteful and 100% modest. If you want to further accentuate the pencil skirt’s hourglass effect, try tucking in your top, or wearing a cinch belt at the natural waist.
Hemline – How to Decide?
Skirts that fall just below the knee are universally flattering. But if you choose to go lower – to a midi or maxi length – here are some things to keep in mind.
While undeniably modest, for some women, midi skirts can be a fashion failure. That’s because they tend to fall right on the widest part of the calves. If your legs are thick rather than lean, or if you’re of below-average height, midi-length skirts may not be the best choice for you.
How about shopping for long skirts? Again, short women – as well as Petites – should be extra careful, because maxis can make you look even smaller than you are – to the point of even looking “stumpy” (and nobody wants that!). To avoid this pitfall when shopping for maxi skirts, choose one that fits snugly around your hips and thighs. This makes it more likely that you’ll achieve a look that is both modest and elegant.
When shopping for long skirts, remember: your goal is to dress modestly, not to disappear! Rather than choosing skirts that fall to the floor, try a hemline that reaches to the thinnest part of your ankles. This creates the flattering illusion of slim legs in the context of a modest outfit.
Whatever your personal style, creating a polished, put-together look is more than a matter of wearing the garments that you love. In fact, no matter how keen your fashion sense, individual clothing pieces can only take you so far. Wearing modest clothing basics does not need to be boring. For the finishing touch, remember: it’s the little things that help you make a fashion statement from head to toe.
To transform your clothes into outfits that work, save room in your closet for these top ten accessorizing essentials:
- Jewelry: Understated Jewelry: Just because a necklace, bracelet or set of earrings is subtle doesn’t mean it can’t have a major impact. Complete any look – and show you care – by choosing earrings that can be seen beyond your hairline. Choose a necklace that harmonizes with the collar or neckline of your top. A delicate bracelet or two adds a feminine touch that complements any outfit, and is appropriate for work or leisure activities. Signature Jewelry: Dressing modestly doesn’t mean fading into the wallpaper. Invest in a few bold pieces that express the strong woman you are. Whether you go bright, colorful, or “chunky” in your choice, signature jewelry adds pizzazz to your everyday wardrobe, and provides that extra measure of glamour to special occasions.
- Scarves: Take a look at your basic wardrobe. What are your favorite color schemes? What are some favorite items that work together – or don’t? A few scarves or shawls with “bridging” colors can turn isolated tops and bottoms into beautifully coordinated outfits, and increase your fashion flexibility.
- Spring Flats: Fashion polish starts from the ground up, and colorful flats are a great way to get your look off and running. Great under pants or skirts, basic flats help you move smoothly from casual occasions to more formal events, without missing a beat.
- Black Heels: These are the shoes that can lend an air of authority to your work outfits, and add fashionable propriety to the dresses you reach for on special occasions. You may have to invest some time shopping for the perfect black heels that are both beautiful and comfortable, but once you find them, they’re a joy forever.
- Strappy Sandals: For that special party or event, you don’t have to go high in the heel. Whether neutral or “out there” in color, strappy sandals put sophisticated elegance on your feet.
Just add sunglasses and a bag to accessorize any outfit
- Sunglasses: Obviously, sunglasses are great for hiding tired eyes and shielding you from the sun’s glare. But psst! Their real beauty is how, by just sliding them on, sunglasses make you feel like a star.
- Leather Handbag: A well-made, roomy purse with a strap and plenty of pockets is a must for any woman on the go. Choose something solid, functional and not too flashy – after all, how many of us want to transfer our everyday essentials from bag to bag depending on what we wear?
- Clutch Handbag: An accessory that changes the entire atmosphere of an outfit, the evening clutch is an elegant, easy way to transition between a look that says “getting through the day” and one that says “going out for the evening”.
- Weekend Tote: You take care in the way you dress. Why ruin the look by tossing your weekend clothing into something that’s less than beautiful? Doubling as an extra-roomy purse for your “off” hours, the weekend tote is one piece in which you can go to town, and choose splashy colors or materials that express your sense of fun.
- Fashion Watch: Now that so many of us are carrying cellphones and other devices, the humble wrist watch has emerged as a major fashion statement. Use an eye-catching wrist watch to offset bracelets and bangles. The watch puts a little business into your fashion pleasure, while getting you where you have to go – on time and in style.
Modest fashion is attainable while on a budget.
In truth, most of the time you only need a few items to refresh your wardrobe. I am a bit partial to basic pieces, because I am always on the run with my 4 kids. I have to be in and out of the house in a hurry, and the last thing I want to worry about is what I am wearing. I own a few must have items that not only look great all year round, but are also affordable!
- Long black pencil skirt – The knee length black pencil skirt is a great versatile piece in your wardrobe. It is a staple item that is classic because it can be worn anywhere at anytime. The great thing about this modest fashion item is that you can wear it with a variety of shirts and it is a style that is never outdated. Celebrity mom, Victoria Beckham, often opts for this modest fashion choice and looks extremely confident and chic. Designers also like the knee length pencil skirt and was featured in Christian Siriano’s fall 2010 collection, Gap’s fall 2011 collection as well as Ann Taylor’s collection.
- Knee Length Straight Denim Skirt – I just adore straight knee length skirts, especially in denim! The knee length straight denim skirt is great for winter and summer and can be worn to many occasions. You can dress it down with a pair of flats or dress it up with a pair of heels with the right accessories. The denim straight skirt has also been a favorite among celebrity moms such as Courtney Cox and Gwyneth Paltrow.
Long Black A-line Skirt
- The scarf – When you are wearing basic modest fashion items, have some fun by adding colorful scarfs! The scarf is the easiest way to update your wardrobe and it is also the chicest way to cover up. It has been spotted on many 2011 runway shows, such as Yigal Azrouel, Kenzo, Just Cavalli and William Rast.
- Long Black A-line Skirt – The long black A-line skirt is also a great fashion basic item! I have several long black A-line skirts because they are so comfortable without looking sloppy. Whatever shirt I put on always looks better with a long black A-line skirt.
- Basic ¾ Sleeve Shirt – The ¾ sleeve cotton ribbed shirt is a definite must have in your closet! This basic T comes in a variety of colors, and looks great with a long black A-line skirt and a knee length straight denim skirt.