Being well known in Hollywood or in the entertainment business comes with a harsh price, having expectations placed on you to be and look a very specific way. That is why women (specifically women for this post) that do choose to cover up and stay ‘modest’ deserve a great deal of encouragement and recognition.
Identifying these women as leaders and example of courage and leadership is only fair because they are simply working harder than any of us to go against the grain and keep their clothing modest. The women chosen in this post were chosen for more than just their actual clothing, they are all beautiful and carry themselves modestly and without the typical flashy Hollywood persona, we have come to know.
- Adele – a class act that is famous for her silly personality and classy disposition. Her modesty comes through in her behavior more than her physical clothing, even though her wardrobe is quite modesty. The added element of her love for her body type, despite many critiques, makes her a great candidate for a top modest and wholesome celebrity.
- Mayim Bialik – famous for her role in Blossom and the more recent Big, Bang Theory, Mayim has always portrayed herself with the utmost respect and this came from the roles she plays on the screen and the way she dresses off the screen. Her commitment to her values is obviously a priority all the while maintaining her brains and her value as an actor in Hollywood.
- Kate Middleton – the epitome of class and style. Kate holds an honorable position that has years of heritage and tradition, although that alone is not a reason to go against the modern fashion styles of her companions and dress more provocatively. And yet, her style is always modest and always beautiful.
- Audrey Hepburn – the ever iconic and ultimately remembered for her tasteful modesty and humility, was the ultimate example of modesty. Audrey Hepburn, quoted once as saying that the most distasteful thing she ever did on camera was let her Tabby, named Cat, out of a cab into the rainy streets of New York!
- Zooey Deschanel – known for her nerdy and bubbly persona, she rocks the alt-indie scene and carries the hit show New Girl with a great deal of modesty and charm. Usually seen in flowy skirts and high-collared shirts, which add to her seemingly down to earth approach to stardom. Another character that known more for her modest presence rather than her wardrobe alone. She is a perfect pick for this list.
In a world where celebrities and reality TV stars are stripping off their clothes at any possible opportunity, it’s really refreshing to see people choosing to behave differently. Although dressing modestly in a layman’s world may seem nerdy, in the world of celebrities it can often be seen as rebellious. Despite that, choosing modest clothing and choosing to keep covered, can often be more revealing, forcing people to look past externalities and understand each other based on internal characteristics.
Who are your favorite famous personalities that keep modest and manage to stay in the groove?
We totally get how tricky it is to dress modestly. You want to look modest, but you also want to look attractive. But not too attractive such that it won’t be considered modest anymore- just enough to look great without being flashy. But how much is too much? How little is too little? What are some foolproof looks?
Well, we’re here to give you some tips. 🙂
- Purchase great quality staple items, such as shell tops, and modest dresses. By great quality, we don’t mean expensive items. Just avoid purchasing items that fall apart after a couple of washes. Quality shows.
- Wear dark and solid colors. Those have a way of instantly making the wearer look more elegant and classy.
- Tastefully accessorize. Try to steer clear from gaudy pieces.
- Go easy on the makeup. If you choose to wear lots of makeup, try to maintain the natural dewey look. Obvious styling, except on occasions, gets excessive on a regular basis.
- Speaking of occasions- if you really want to stand out- try dressing up a hint more than what the occasion calls for. Maybe style your hair differently, or opt for the fancier purse.
- Maintain a balance. For example, looser tops look awesome with dressy fitted skirts, and vice versa.
- Wear shoes that match your outfit. You don’t have to own countless pairs of shoes to achieve this, but it does add a nice touch when your shoes match with everything else.
- Be confident! That’s the ultimate cherry on top. Your confidence will shine far above everything else.
What are some other tips you might add? Tell us in the comments!
Gotta love the warmer seasons! You can finally take out the prettier modest skirts and dresses that were stashed away this past winter, and rock them in the gorgeous weather without winter coat over it. And hmm, what is one to do when you combine gorgeous weather with gorgeous outfits? Take pics! Lots of pics! Awesome pics!
Camera shy? No problem! Take pics of the flowers in bloom, or fruits ripening in the sun. You can also snap a few pics of your friends/family/pets enjoying the lovely weather. While you’re at it, please don’t limit yourself to stiff pics standing in front of a tree. Capture some warmth, personality, and pizazz to really make your images pop.
Here are some ideas for you to grab inspiration from! Each slideshow features multiple images from the same series. We’re sure some of these will get your imagination running.
Enjoy your modest fashions in the warm weather! Also- feel free to tag/mention us in your pics that you post online, where you’re wearing our designs. That always makes our day!
When it comes to discussing the topic of modesty in clothing, whose responsibility is it? Is it all on the girls and women, because they are the ones that lead men towards temptation? Many would say that there is absolutely no justification for the way men think towards women, however, we will say that the responsibility is split between absolutely everyone.
In many ways, this ties in with ‘it takes a whole village to raise one child.’ Similarly, it is up to young girls and her guardians to discuss the values of modesty. It is also up to the guardians of young boys to discuss the values of respect. However, this discussion mustn’t start and end at home. The real world is outside of home. It is just as important for discussions of this nature to take place in larger community venues, especially religious establishments.
There is one thing that typically stops conversations of this nature from starting in religious institutions, and that is fear. Leaders oftentimes find themselves conflicted and afraid of potentially offending anyone who might be in attendance. Why? Because then the person might feel uncomfortable to return to the establishment. It’s a difficult topic to address, because the definition of modesty varies between one and all. How can they answer just how fashionable is too fashionable, or how attractive is too attractive?
Modesty is a community effort. Males and females alike need to gently let one another know of their thoughts on the types of garments that send off the wrong kind of message in their area. Young girls need to be taught to treat their bodies as temples, and that their true beauty will only come from their inner character- not the way they ornament themselves.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Let us know in the comments below!
We all know that the fine arts from centuries ago featured women in modest dresses– but did you notice how stunning those dresses actually were? That is even the case in the paintings that depict religious scenes.
As you can see in the collection below, there was a lot of variety in styles, shapes, colors, textures and more. We have to give credit to the artists for managing to capture such details with vivid colors, despite their limitations.
We hope you like the slideshows! We made them easy to enjoy!