The holiday season is a bonanza for business, with the media making darned sure that everyone feels a guilty responsibility: To buy gifts and to make ‘em good.
Face it: gift buying success is not an exact science. What’s more, when the female target of your gift purchases – whether it’s a family member, a friend, or a colleague from work – is a difficult “fit”, we can find ourselves roaming the aisles, either empty handed, or worse, with our hands full of gifts that are sure to go right to the back of the closet. Or back to the store.
Here are some thoughts to guide you on your girl-oriented gift-giving adventures.
(1) It’s winter. Think cozy.
You don’t have to be headed for a ski resort to appreciate the warmth that’s expressed by seasonal dressing. In the winter months, everybody loves an extra layer, and outerwear is a risk-free choice; whether it’s a casual sweatshirt or a camel’s wool coat, it doesn’t have to match any particular outfit. For a low-budget option, remember: winter scarves, hats and gloves are a colorful, girl-friendly gift, and a classic expression of seasonal affection.
Women’s Loose Fitting, Raglan Style Shirt – Perfect ‘Basic’ for your Wardrobe
(2) Basics rock!
Did you know that the girl who has everything has something in common with the fussiest recipient on your list? It’s true: both have limited bandwidth for appreciating your creative shopping efforts. So why fight it? A sure-fire way to please both these categories is to concentrate on blue-chip, tried-and-true basics. Complement the wardrobe these women already have by choosing high-quality tops, bottoms and layering pieces in easy-to-match colors.
(3) You can never own too much…
…jewelry. Diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, but if the real stuff is out of your price range, try browsing your local department store racks for fun – and fake – pieces that can liven up any look.
Kosher Casual’s Little Black Dress
(4) Dare to buy a dress
Yes, it can be done. Keep your eyes out for classic styles that are not too fussy in the details, yet say “holiday” all the way to the hem. For example, imagine an unstructured dress in a solid-color… that’s the kind of foolproof, one-size-fits-all gift dress that is sure to be appreciated, because it can be dressed up and accessorized, creating a starting point for a personal fashion statement.
(5) And if you despair…
Don’t. Gift certificates may sound like a cop-out, but allowing the girl on your gift list to do her own shopping might be the greatest gift of all!
The gifting season is upon us, and with it, the endless list-making and hand-wringing as you try to find that perfect gift for all the special someones in your life.
Clothing is always a popular gift option. But also a tricky one—is the size right? What about the style? Can it be returned easily? Does he/she have this already? And if your special someone prefers modest clothing, it can get even trickier.
First, some easy advice: Increase your chances of success by skipping over the entire printed-seasonal-designs section. NO reindeer sweaters, NO dreidel cardigans. Even for little kids. Please, let’s respect their fashion integrity, even at a young age.
So you want to find modest clothing that’s fresh and functional. I mean are you really going to buy another necktie? Or pair of gloves? Come on. Get your giftees something they can really use, day in and day out. A gift that will elicit the sought-after, “Oh, that’s JUST what I needed!” reaction.
(But keep the receipt. Just in case.)
Five clothing gifts that are 99 percent guaranteed to make the clothes-lovers in your life happy:
Open Front Cardigan
- A pretty flowing cardigan. Fashionable (check), modest, (check), functional (check) and fairly easy to figure out what size to get. Remember that the giftee will probably wear this over another article of clothing, so don’t get it too small or tight.
- A silk scarf. I once received a beautiful silk scarf as an end-of-year present from a student, and it’s one of my favorite items of clothing. A silk scarf is a versatile, fashionable item that can be used to cover hair, folded in a headband style or worn around your neck. A multifunctional, well-made gift is always welcome.
- Sleevies®. Spice up a friend of family member’s wardrobe with a set of Sleevies. Your giftee can mix and match Sleevies® with a simple t-shirt to create dozens of modest wardrobe options. Go for the always popular black and white Sleevies®, or a colorful set for the truly daring fashionista in your life.
- Pajamas! How many of us are using ratty old t-shirts and old pants we’ve had since college as pajamas? Treat your family—and yourself—to a cozy pair of new pajamas that actually match!
- NFGC (Never Fail Gift Certificate). Yes, a present you picked out yourself and lovingly watched the store clerk wrap is always preferable. But let’s face it—there are those picky people in our lives that no matter what we do, it’s too small, too dark, wrong color, soooo not their style or it’s all those things AND they already own it. So you can never go wrong with a heartfelt gift certificate as well—watch their eyes light up with excitement at having FREE MONEY to spend however they like!
So good luck with your holiday gift shopping. Let us know how it goes! And please, share your clothing gift ideas with us!
(And if anyone wants to know what to get for me, I’m still wearing a ratty old t-shirt and pajama pants to bed every night….)