Being well known in Hollywood or in the entertainment business comes with a harsh price, having expectations placed on you to be and look a very specific way. That is why women (specifically women for this post) that do choose to cover up and stay ‘modest’ deserve a great deal of encouragement and recognition.
Identifying these women as leaders and example of courage and leadership is only fair because they are simply working harder than any of us to go against the grain and keep their clothing modest. The women chosen in this post were chosen for more than just their actual clothing, they are all beautiful and carry themselves modestly and without the typical flashy Hollywood persona, we have come to know.
- Adele – a class act that is famous for her silly personality and classy disposition. Her modesty comes through in her behavior more than her physical clothing, even though her wardrobe is quite modesty. The added element of her love for her body type, despite many critiques, makes her a great candidate for a top modest and wholesome celebrity.
- Mayim Bialik – famous for her role in Blossom and the more recent Big, Bang Theory, Mayim has always portrayed herself with the utmost respect and this came from the roles she plays on the screen and the way she dresses off the screen. Her commitment to her values is obviously a priority all the while maintaining her brains and her value as an actor in Hollywood.
- Kate Middleton – the epitome of class and style. Kate holds an honorable position that has years of heritage and tradition, although that alone is not a reason to go against the modern fashion styles of her companions and dress more provocatively. And yet, her style is always modest and always beautiful.
- Audrey Hepburn – the ever iconic and ultimately remembered for her tasteful modesty and humility, was the ultimate example of modesty. Audrey Hepburn, quoted once as saying that the most distasteful thing she ever did on camera was let her Tabby, named Cat, out of a cab into the rainy streets of New York!
- Zooey Deschanel – known for her nerdy and bubbly persona, she rocks the alt-indie scene and carries the hit show New Girl with a great deal of modesty and charm. Usually seen in flowy skirts and high-collared shirts, which add to her seemingly down to earth approach to stardom. Another character that known more for her modest presence rather than her wardrobe alone. She is a perfect pick for this list.
In a world where celebrities and reality TV stars are stripping off their clothes at any possible opportunity, it’s really refreshing to see people choosing to behave differently. Although dressing modestly in a layman’s world may seem nerdy, in the world of celebrities it can often be seen as rebellious. Despite that, choosing modest clothing and choosing to keep covered, can often be more revealing, forcing people to look past externalities and understand each other based on internal characteristics.
Who are your favorite famous personalities that keep modest and manage to stay in the groove?
Women who choose to follow a religious or cultural dress code are often grappling with what defines modest dress as, well, modest. Although different cultures may vary on what is considered modest, there are certain standards that are accepted as modest dress.
Modesty is a way of life. It is about choosing to keep things private that today have been exploited. That means for some women, trying to dress modestly is about minor technicalities like covering up past their elbows and knees or concealing their ankles. However, for other women, it may mean avoiding sheer fabrics or very tight revealing clothing. The concept of modesty is an important and personal one, and therefore different opportunities to express oneself modestly should be available.
Modesty and chastity are developed from within oneself, yet expressed outwardly. People as well should dress in ways that reflect their modest choices and beliefs and refrain from outwardly judging others’ choices in dress or how their modesty is conveyed.
Have you fallen into that trap of judging others for not being modest enough? Or bending the standards of modest dress? Share how you personalize the experience of modest dress below, I’d love to hear from all of you.
Dressing modestly and staying fashionable means finding clothing that fits your body well, just as it would for any woman that wants to look modern and stylish. That means knowing your body shape and finding skirts that flatter your natural curves or lack thereof!
When it comes to skirts, there are a variety of designs to choose from, including A-line, high-waisted, form-fitting, pencil skirts and more. Finding the right style starts with looking at the different types of body shapes.
Apple shape which generally means you have a slim lower body and carry your weight around your middle works best with high-waisted skirts. The high waistband will hit the smallest part of the torso and mask the mid-section. If you can find a skirt that is flouncy or has pleats than that will only add more to the total image and help give a lengthened look to the body shape.
The Banana shape (similar width for the waist, hip, and shoulders) does best with form-fitting skirts. Body-conscious skirts with a fun or loud pattern compliment this body type. Keep the shape of your skirts narrow and that will allow your natural curves to speak on their own.
The hourglass is that iconic shape that looks so great in a long pencil skirt. This body shape with a heavier bottom and a well-defined waist has a skirt specifically designed for her. Skirts with a peplum look especially great as they draw all the attention to your waist and give a perfect space for your lower half. Don’t get caught up in the office style of these pencil skirts, patterns and textured fabrics allow you to take advantage of all the length.
So much of exercising is in the gear, when you have comfortable clothing to wear it is easier to get motivated to get out and go for a jog or hit the gym. With the summer upon us, getting outside for a run can be even more daunting with the heat and the beaming sun. Finding workout clothing that is both comfortable and modest, now THAT is daunting.
Considering leggings are a necessity for modesty when running or doing crunches at the gym, often times women that choose to dress modestly find themselves wearing layers. Some layers work, but some can drag you down. Then of course, the fabric, just like swimming, the fabric can be crucial in providing comfort or even UV protection when running outside.
Finding the perfect outfit that will encourage you to exercise as opposed to keep you from getting out is a good step to help you meet your fitness goals. Afterall, the modest woman needs just as much to stay in shape as any other women. Dressing modest does not mean frumpy!
How do you stay modest when you exercise? Share your tips and tricks below.
Please bring these modest suits back!
They’re so stylish, elegant, and timelessly chic! From the photos alone, you can tell that they’re also high quality. The world needs more modest suits like these!
Then again, fashion does have a way of coming back in waves. It’s a good thing that modest fashion in general is faring well across the globe. Maybe these modest suits stand a chance of coming back in style.