by Kosher Casual | Oct 15, 2018 | Dress, Fashion Must-Haves, Fashion Philosophy, Kosher Casual, modest clothing, Modest Fashion, Skirts, Tops
Dressing modestly isn’t always easy, especially when there are so many immodest clothing options to choose from and fewer clothing items that will actually cover you up. Luckily, modest fashion can be achievable if you know what basics you need and how to build upon them. Here at Kosher Casual, we have all of these basics and more!
1. Layering Shirts
With a layering shirt, you can transform practically any sleeveless dress or top into a piece of modest clothing that you’ll feel comfortable wearing. A layering shirt can also be the base for fabulous accessories! Owning several in a range of colors ensures that you’ll be able to complete an outfit without having to think too hard about it.
2. Pencil Skirts
Pencil skirts are a modest basic that can be worn all year round. During the warmer months of the year, this basic can be dressed up with a pair of heels or made completely casual with your favorite pair of comfortable sneakers. In the fall and winter throw on some cozy tights and a pair of boots and you’re ready to go!
3. Maxi Skirts
Perhaps the ultimate modest basic, long skirts (or maxi skirts) should be in every modest woman’s closet. A black maxi skirt can work with practically any top, and it’s comfortable enough for most activities. Or switch things up a bit and choose a bold color maxi to wear with a neutral colored top. However you choose to do it, we know you’ll look great!
A tunic is an essential basic for day-to-day wear. Paired with a pencil skirt, you’re guaranteed a put-together look that you can take from the store to the office, and it will keep you going into the evening without having to change your clothes! Tunics offer a great look without being clingy and the added length provides great coverage of the areas you’d prefer to keep hidden ;).
5. T-Shirt Dresses
If you really want to keep your outfit simple, a t-shirt dress is the way to go. This basic is an entire outfit in one piece! All you have to worry about is deciding on the shoes that are most appropriate for your plans. A knee-length dress can be cool and comfortable during the summer, but paired with a cardigan, leggings, and boots, it will also keep you warm in the winter.
Adding the basics to your modest wardrobe is the best way to ensure that you’re comfortable and covered every day. Check out our best sellers at Kosher Casual.
by Kosher Casual Team | Feb 21, 2017 | Dress, Dress Code, Fashion Philosophy, Kosher Casual, Modest Fashion, Tops
That’s right, you read the title correctly. Women all over the world are indeed covering up to stay cool. Well, ‘cool’ in the sense of being trendy. There is a growing movement of modesty taking place worldwide, as revealing styles are taking a backseat to the more conservative and classy looks. Modest style is making waves as women seek fashionable ways to cover up while remaining chic. It was a very long wait for religious women, to easily be able to access the clothes that are needed, while still being able to express their individuality without breaking the bank.
The general outlook when it comes to the latest trend of modest looks is that you can definitely look impressive without revealing yourself. There are lots of modest fashions to fit any style and definition of modesty- from the fun, to bright, to flirty, to glamour and glitzy looks. Modest pieces are quickly becoming closet staples. From long skirts, to tunic tops, to longer dresses, and more. Many believe that this is due to the increase of interest in vintage looks, which are slowly coming back and making their mark.
Designers in high fashion have taken notice, and are designing their latest pieces accordingly. They aren’t necessarily catering to religious women. They are more so catering to women that are covering up, layering up, and dressing up for themselves and other women. Here’s a look at some of their latest designs, straight out of the runway:
Now that it is cool again- the modest look is here to stay. People are realizing the benefits of dressing modestly, because just as provocative clothing has a way on conveying a message- so does modest clothing. There is a much greater element of control for women who choose to dress modestly, both in the literal, and figurative sense. We are big believers in moderation, which is why we often say that dressing modestly doesn’t have to mean dressing frumpy. There are tons of great modest looks out there, ready to be rocked. The best part of all is that modest looks leave lots of room for accessorizing. You can pair most anything with awesome shoes, purses, hats, scarves, and more to take your entire ensemble to the next level.
What are some of your favorite modest fashion pairings? Let us know in the comments below!
by admin | Sep 15, 2016 | cropped tops, Layering shirts, Layering Tops, long sleeved, Modest, modest clothing, Modest Fashion, tank top
Cropped Tank Top
Leafing through the clothing racks at the average department store, women who choose to dress modestly sometimes don’t find much to choose from. Tops are a particular source of trouble, because so many of the available shirts are designed with necklines that reveal too much cleavage.
But there’s good news – a low-cut top can be brought up to standard, so you don’t have to pass it by after all. If you’ve found a shirt that works in terms of its color, fabric, sleeve and hem design, there are plenty of ways to doctor the neckline, so it can become a real asset to your modest wardrobe.
Here are 5 neckline fixes to try:
- Head out to the thrift store and purchase a colorful tank top that harmonizes with the color of the top you want to adjust. Look for something that’s much too small – a children’s tank will do. Then cut out a triangle that can be sewn inside that plunging neckline. You can also attach this add-on coverage with snaps, to allow for different color combinations.
Kosher Casual’s TeeNeck®
- For a more delicate look, a lace-edged triangle will do the trick. This will also dress up a casual top.
- If you don’t have the time or inclination to get out needle and thread, commercially-available neckline extenders known as “TeeNecks” are a great option. Pop these over your head, then wear the shirt you need to fix on top. TeeNecks give you the coverage you need, without adding bulk.
- Layering that low-cut top over another shirt is an obvious way to breach the gap between the fashion designer’s vision and your standards of modesty. If the weather’s cool, layering a full shirt can add cozy comfort. It not, choose a cropped top. Cropped tops are built to stay stably in place, while adding coverage only where it’s needed.
- Sometimes skimpy tank tops – the type you wouldn’t be caught dead wearing in public – can actually serve as a modesty solution. Try wearing a tank top backwards as an under-layer (after removing any tags that might show). This brings the neckline up to where you need it, and turns a low-cut shirt into the basis for an outfit you’ll be happy to wear.
by admin | Jan 12, 2015 | Cardigan, Dress, Layering shirts, Layering Tops, Long Sleeve Tops, modest clothing, Modest Fashion, Tunic Tops, Winter
Some women love it when the mercury drops, because it gives them a chance to wear those heavy-duty sweaters that only come out of the closet during the coldest months of the year.
I make my clothing decisions based on both modesty, and on my personal fashion sense. Personally, I feel prettier when my clothes offer a sleek, feminine line. And guess what? Despite the red-carpet images sold to us by Madison Avenue and Hollywood – shivering celebrities in barely-there evening gowns come to mind – we women can dress fashionably in winter… and stay warm!
Women’s Tunic Top – Short Front Long Back
Let’s go from the bottom up. Modest dressers can stay toasty by relying on three-quarter and long-sleeved shell tops. These items – which, during the summer months, help bridge the gap between an outfit’s too-low necklines or too-short sleeves, and our desired coverage level – do double-duty in winter. Not only do they keep us cozy and warm, they can also add a fashionable dash of color.
When choosing what to go on top of that first layer, I like to reach for something with a graceful, interesting shape – like an unbalanced hemline or mullet cut tunic. Both these tops look great over a boot-length skirt.
Loose Knit Cardigan with Pockets
Topping it Off
There are lots of fashion-conscious options for top layers (not to be confused with outerwear; see below) in winter. From open-front cardigans to belted sweaters, they give me a modestly feminine shape, while keeping me warm.
Of course, winter weather requires a winter coat. But if you’re like me, while you don’t want to freeze, you don’t want to look like the Michelin Man, either. High-tech fabrics like Thinsulate keep the bulk down, so making belted outerwear a pretty option. So ladies, remember: whatever the forecast, think fashion!
by admin | Dec 7, 2014 | Basic Skirts, Basic Tops, Christmas, Dress, Fashion Must-Haves, Gift Certificate, Gifts, Hannukah, Holiday Shopping, Holidays, Jewelry, Little Black Dress
The holiday season is a bonanza for business, with the media making darned sure that everyone feels a guilty responsibility: To buy gifts and to make ‘em good.
Face it: gift buying success is not an exact science. What’s more, when the female target of your gift purchases – whether it’s a family member, a friend, or a colleague from work – is a difficult “fit”, we can find ourselves roaming the aisles, either empty handed, or worse, with our hands full of gifts that are sure to go right to the back of the closet. Or back to the store.
Here are some thoughts to guide you on your girl-oriented gift-giving adventures.
(1) It’s winter. Think cozy.
You don’t have to be headed for a ski resort to appreciate the warmth that’s expressed by seasonal dressing. In the winter months, everybody loves an extra layer, and outerwear is a risk-free choice; whether it’s a casual sweatshirt or a camel’s wool coat, it doesn’t have to match any particular outfit. For a low-budget option, remember: winter scarves, hats and gloves are a colorful, girl-friendly gift, and a classic expression of seasonal affection.
Women’s Loose Fitting, Raglan Style Shirt – Perfect ‘Basic’ for your Wardrobe
(2) Basics rock!
Did you know that the girl who has everything has something in common with the fussiest recipient on your list? It’s true: both have limited bandwidth for appreciating your creative shopping efforts. So why fight it? A sure-fire way to please both these categories is to concentrate on blue-chip, tried-and-true basics. Complement the wardrobe these women already have by choosing high-quality tops, bottoms and layering pieces in easy-to-match colors.
(3) You can never own too much…
…jewelry. Diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, but if the real stuff is out of your price range, try browsing your local department store racks for fun – and fake – pieces that can liven up any look.
Kosher Casual’s Little Black Dress
(4) Dare to buy a dress
Yes, it can be done. Keep your eyes out for classic styles that are not too fussy in the details, yet say “holiday” all the way to the hem. For example, imagine an unstructured dress in a solid-color… that’s the kind of foolproof, one-size-fits-all gift dress that is sure to be appreciated, because it can be dressed up and accessorized, creating a starting point for a personal fashion statement.
(5) And if you despair…
Don’t. Gift certificates may sound like a cop-out, but allowing the girl on your gift list to do her own shopping might be the greatest gift of all!
by admin | Aug 28, 2014 | 3/4 sleeve, A-line Skirts, Black Skirts, camp skirts, Denim Skirt, Dress Code, Girls Knee Length Skirts, modest clothing, Modest Skirts, Pencil Skirts, running skirt, School Skirts, Sports Skirt
Starting a new grade in elementary school? Heading off college? No matter what stage our daughters are at, they want to have fun, make new friends, and… look fabulous.
And why not? There’s nothing wrong with making a fashionable statement based on eye-catching outfits that express your daughter’s spirit within the boundaries of modesty. So moms, when you head out to the mall to update your daughter’s wardrobe with some back-to-school shopping, don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Let your daughter take the lead about colors and styles – while you set the tone about what constitutes “kosher” coverage. You’re sure to find solutions that will make you both happy, and have a good time shopping, too.
Back to School With A Smile
Here are ten tips to get you started:
- A flattering jean skirt is essential for every girl’s wardrobe, but skirts don’t have to be boring, or look like a stuffy school uniform. Look for fun appliqués or flounces (for younger girls) or a sophisticated drape (for high school and college students). Because they go with everything, jean skirts are the foundation of flexible and modest dressing.
- Stock up on casual pencil skirts in a variety of solid colors. This will give your daughter inspiration in the morning, so she can mix and match to create fun new looks.
- Even non-dressy girls appreciate a comfortable dress that slips over the head and gets her out of the door fast. Whether it’s made of tee-shirt material or a more substantial fabric, look for a dress that’s simple enough to be dressed up with some jewelry or a wide belt, or dressed down (a baseball cap worn fashionably backwards and high-top sneakers?).
- Speaking of flexibility, you’ll want to buy more tops than bottoms when you’re shopping with your girls. Pair your school skirts with elegantly casual tees with ¾ length sleeves, or a boat-neck collar. Button-down shirts that skim over the skirt’s waistline are crisp and fashionable choices for fall days on campus.
- If your daughter’s looking for fun fashion, relax – you can afford it. Along with simple colored shirts, stripes and plaids, stock up on bright and inexpensive logo tees that will give your daughter a chance to express her personal style.
- Want to vary the look? Add more interest to a basic top by adding a stylish vest – denim is a good choice to match those jean skirts. Every girl should have two or three outer garments for layering as fall turns to winter, whether it’s a hoodie, pullover, or long sleeve button down cardigan.
- Don’t forget workout clothes. If your daughter’s school has a specific policy about “Phys Ed” fashion, you can probably rest assured that the girls will be steered toward appropriate and modest active wear. But if the school doesn’t supply the dress code, you can step up to the plate. From long basketball shorts to covered sports skirts with leggings, there are a lot of options out there. Find something colorful and comfortable, and your daughter will probably find fashionable uses for them outside of gym class.
- Accessories are make-or-break items for casual back-to-school fashions, but you don’t have to break the bank. Set limits and ground rules with your daughter, but let her do her own shopping in this department. You’ll be surprised how many hair ornaments, belts and bangles she finds that bring her in under budget!
- Shoes, did anyone mention shoes? Before you head out to the store, take a back-to-school inventory. For growing girls, a new pair of school shoes is essential. Your daughter will also need sneakers for gym, boots for wet/snowy weather, and a pair of Mary Jane’s or dressy flats.
- Finally, find the accessories your daughter needs to keep organized. For younger kids, consider purchasing a roller backpack or a backpack with straps. A cute lunchbox will make your daughter feel special, and might even encourage her to eat her vegetables!